Friday, March 28, 2008

Costumes and Wigs

So we had our first dress rehearsal last night. Of course there were some snafoos, none of mine were major, but there were some definite moments of Janet Jackson happening all throughout.

The costumes, I must say, are spectacular. Everyone looks so great.

I had not seen my wigs, so I would not have known what to look for during the quick changes. But from the rats nests I saw at the costume fittings to now, you would not recognize them.

The local costumers are interesting. One seems to be attached to my hip. She’s very nice, probably my age, likely just a bit younger, and she is very sweet, but she kind of made things more difficult than they needed to be. She brought me my entire nun costume- off the hanger- to the dressing room, but I hadn’t even touched my hair yet, and when we do full dress, I’ll need to do make-up, so my nun costume was just hanging out on the back of my chair, constantly getting knocked to the ground and stepped on. That was annoying. Then I had a brief change (not a quick change) from nun to Ursula, but for some reason, the costumer had laid out my new postulant outfit, so I had to take the time to put it away (since I didn’t need it for another HOUR) so that I could sit in my chair and use it for my change into the maid. That was pretty annoying also. And then during the quick change the 4 of us have from festival winners back into nuns in Act 2, that is one of the quickest changes in the show from an extreme costume to another extreme costume, and for the only time, they chose NOT to help with this change and stood around and watched, and then the wig helpers got in the way trying to pick up the wigs- just let them be until we’ve cleared out! Urg… So, frustrating but fixable.

So let’s start at the beginning.

Here’s me wearing my first wig cap:



I begin the show as a postulant with Maddy and Vivian. Some changes here, I am wearing my wig cap under my hat-thingy, and while the wig cap fit without all of the junk beneath it, WITH the junk beneath it, I couldn’t get it on over the hair and bobby pins. So Alison sewed some snaps in, but they were too tight. So I’m hoping they were loosened today so that my hat-thingy stays on. Also, they took off the crosses from our three costumes, and apparently the rosary beads were sewn onto the wrong side of our belts.

Here is a pic of the three of us. My cap was getting fixed, but I’ll get a photo of us/me when I can.



Then I change into my props-mover costume. I am Ursula the maid here. I have a spectacular wig, but it makes my forehead look ginormous!




Then, I remain as Ursula, but Rebecca joins me as a maid and we bring on the bed for “Lonely Goatherd” (the storm scene). Here’s us:



Later, I become the new postulant. I wear the same wig, but the maid hat comes off (not scene in the pix above) and the wig net comes off. Later, when Maria returns to the captain after having run away to the Abby, she’s wearing the same outfit (same dress, but we each have our own, as Christine is like, 8 inches taller than me).




And then here is just me as part of the Trio, I’ll try to get a pic of the three of us at some point. It’s funny!

1 comment:

terryz said...

That goatherd out fit is HOT! ;)