This is most likely the hardest part of the entire process. Preparing. There is just SO much to get done.
Luckily, I don't have the problem of needing to sublet, I live with my boyfriend. So I'll still be paying rent from afar.
I did have to resign from my job. That for me was quite difficult. We received some difficult news regarding the company at the same time that I was preparing to leave. But thus far, everyone has been very supportive. I have some really good friends there, and some big changes are on the way. So I am sad to be leaving my first real job. But there will be some great developments and I'm excited to see what happens in the meantime.
I had to get my passport again. I got my first one when I was 12 to go to Israel, so obviously, it is QUITE outdated, beyond being renewed. But this proved to be VERY easy, the entire process was done in a day.
But now for vaccinations. I got hep A and B already, the doc visit WITH insurance cost $250! Now, if I want to get tetanus/diphtheria, typhoid, and the second Hep B dose, that's going to run about $300. This is definitely not something I can afford, but I can't afford to get sick, either. So torn... nothing is required, but I certainly don't want to get sick.
We also had to get tested for HIV in order to get our Chinese visas.
I did a clothing test pack and got all my clothes into one suitcase, but now i'm thinking i should pack less. Vivian and I went shopping yesterday (more on that later) and spent $200 on toilettries and drugs and stuff...it's a whole lot.
I"m trying to decide which suitcases to use. I currently have a nestling set, with a big one, medium one, and small shoulder bag. All of my clothes will fit in the large one with room to spare. But the toiletries take up a LOT of space. I dont know if they'll all fit in one suitcase. I'm debating going to washington heights, the old digs, and buying a cheap large suitcase there. It really is tough figuring out what to pack in general.
It's cold now, and will be cold at the end, but if I bring my heavy jacket or lots of cool weather clothes, then I"ll be carrying them around for 6 months without being used. And what will the rain situation be? I hear it's rain time over there. I also hear it gets dreadfully hot in the summer, so I'd want to pack tank tops and shorts (ugh, i dont wear shorts), but i also hope we'll do a lot of sightseeing, and in old temples and grounds, that type of clothing may not be respectful.
Not to mention we were told to bring dress clothes for opening parties and press events.
And what about toilettries? we were told to bring 8 months worth of everything. can you imagine? 8 months worth of all of that? i guess the good thing is that they will get used, and suitcases will become lighter. Of course, this leaves room for souvenirs!
But everything I bring, I have to carry with me. We are moving around a lot more than I thought we would be (got a tentative itinerary), so being that I am 5ft tall and barely over a 100lbs. so how much can I REALLY bring?
Oh...the apartment. It currently looks like something exploded in it. That would be my fault. My sheet music is everywhere, all of the stuff I bought last night, everywhere... I need to clean. Today. While Terry is away so he can come back to a neat and organized apartment.
More news on preparation later!
No comments:
Post a Comment