Sunday, April 13, 2008

Last day in Chongqing

Yesterday’s shopping was fun, I’m kind of glad I went by myself. It was a good learning experience in trying to communicate. But I found that people were not willing to indicate when talking to me, as I was indicating to them. With the language barrier, no one is going to look stupid if you do some indicating as you speak to make things more clear. It’s weird, though, when you are speaking your language and you go “why don’t you understand me?” and you know they are thinking the same thing.

Last night’s show was interesting. I didn’t mention the previous nights show. THAT was the interesting show. The house fell apart, luckily near the end of act 1, so the house didn’t need to be turned around. And some of the kids were more rambunctious than usual, and I dropped some glasses on stage due to their running around (luckily none broke)… I can’t remember everything that went wrong now, but it really was a comedy of errors, things just going wrong. Last night, part of the bedroom fell off as it was being pushed on stage. It was not a piece that would be missed, but still…

And I got stuck in my boot! As I was unzipping my boot for a relatively quick change from maid into nun for the wedding scene, my way-too-big tights got stuck in the zipper! My dresser and I were frantically trying to get it out, but I didn’t have time, so I grabbed my clothes and my half on costume and ran to the other side of the backstage lobby screaming “JUSTIN!!! I’M STUCK!!!” (he’s the costumer on staff and coordinates the local dressers, he’s Chinese). He got me out, but I have a fairly decent sized hole in my tights. He said not to worry about it, as he has many more pairs.

I didn’t really speak to anyone, I just kind of needed to be in my own zone last night, so I wore headphones and got a healthy dose of Keith Urban and Love Actually soundtrack, which made me feel better.

After the show, a bunch of people went to the hotel restaurant, which, like everything else they have there, is way overpriced. I didn’t want to order a $12 burger, so I ordered what I assumed would be fairly safe “kung pao style chicken” that would be a bit cheaper (about $8). Kung pao is my favorite, if you remember. Well, after everyone had basically finished their meals, mine finally came out, and I kid you not, it was chunks of chicken fat, cashews, and all kinds of spices in a fishy tasting sauce, literally, it tasted like fish. So basically being thoroughly disgusted, I didn’t eat it and let everyone else munch on whatever they wanted.

Sarah had ordered off the kids menu, chicken fingers, fruit salad, and onion rings. What did she get? Fish sticks, French fries, and shredded carrots/a piece of lettuce covered in mayo. Not quite the same thing.

Then we went to sleep and all was happy.

Today we woke up at 10am and I rushed down to breakfast. Now we are trying to pack for the flight to Wuhan, but I need to find out how big my carry-on suitcase can be, so I need to run upstairs to access internet to find out.

And then we have understudy rehearsal. All the kids are called, except Emily and Zachary, because Elita will rehearse only gretl and Bryan will rehearse only kurt, but I’ll be switched between Louisa and liesl, so both maddy and Vivian were called in.

Then we will be served pizza hut- again- ugh, and have a show.

And tomorrow, we get up bright and early (6am anyone?) to be checked out and ready to go by 730am to hop on our flight to Wuhan.

And supposedly we have some rumors. We have been booked the week that Beijing was cancelled, and the city is about 45 minutes from Shanghai, so that’s awesome! I want to get the dates so I can see if friend Ryan will be around (he booked himself on vacation to Beijing, as we were supposed to be there then), but maybe our roads will intersect anyway!

I am dying to see the sun. It is so polluted here you can’t see the sky. We haven’t seen the sun, the moon, the stars… nothing except smog and smoke. Really, it is significantly worse than NYC. I know we want to make the world a better place, but until someone teaches china that smoking causes cancer and pollution kills the atmosphere, the world will continue to deteriorate. It’s really sad. It would be nice to see the actual sun. We did have one sunny day, but we sure didn’t see the sun!

OK, off to get internet!

I need to see the size limit of my carry-on suitcase.

I have to keep my laptop charged so I can write some emails while on the plane. I haven’t written ANYONE in like, 2 weeks! I feel so bad! I’m sorry everyone!

---------------------------------

edited to add:

i went to look up china air (supposedly our flight providor) and what came up was a ton of articles on a plane crash. loverly.

No comments: