Monday, May 19, 2008

More news stories

No news from Troika still. It is becoming bothersome that they haven't acknowledged the huge natural disaster that occured in the immediate area that we were in for most of our first leg of the tour. I have spoken to a couple of our friends in Chengdu, and so far, everyone we know seems to be ok. I know a few are living in tents in parks, but a few had strong houses (western style, I think) that survived.

The articles continue to come out of China. Apparently local tv warned citizens of a huge aftershock and panic caused backlogged streets as people tried to flee. I guess this is a good reason why warning may not have been given the first time around, though I bet many of the school children could have been saved if there was a warning to give.

Here are a few more articles:

Aftershocks
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080519/ts_nm/quake1_dc
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/20/world/asia/20china.html?ref=world

Finding shelter
http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20080519/ts_csm/oquakecamp

Couple survives
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/19/world/asia/19survivors.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=world

No comments: